Plein Air/Outdoor Painting Watercolor Workshop
Monhegan Island, Maine
July 12-16, 2021 – Monday through Friday
Paint with us on the Artists’ Island of Monhegan! We will be working en plein air every day to create impressions of this beautiful spot, meanwhile learning the fundamentals of art. Each painter works to his or her own rhythm and style. All levels of experience welcome.
Whether walking the trails or looking out over the cliffs to sea or land beyond, Monhegan offers a painter an incredible ‘get-away’. Temperatures are customarily gentle….no ‘mainland’ July heat. Scenes are familiar, yet exotic, as seen through the eyes of the many diverse artists.
COST: $425.00/workshop fee for 5 days, $90/day rate
To register, send deposit of $100.00 by March 1 to Doris Rice, (address below). Balance due May 15. Refund of $50 on initial deposit if cancelled by 6/10. Students should secure own lodgings (book early!), transportation and food.
- Sunday arrival is advised with Fri afternoon or Sat departure? (depending on your desire to hike and explore more after the class….…well worth staying the extra day or two!)
- Monday 9:00 AM, we will gather at Bogdanove Cottage, up Horn Hill…………easy to find, but a bit of a hill to climb! The climb gets easier as the week progresses!
- Each morning after that, we will meet at the day’s specified painting location for a demo/lecture, then on to create individual works of art; possibly visit a working artist’s studio/gallery, closing our day with a critique.
- We will focus on principles of painting, with the village/cliffs/ocean, etc. for inspiration.
- There are 17 miles of hiking trails, for the energetic, so bring good footwear!
This will be an experience enriching for the mind, body and soul! We are always good company. You’re welcomed to join me!
A General Workshop list is available under Classes on DorisRice.com website. If you are already a watercolor painter, bring your own choice of materials. Easels are not mandatory, but suggested. It makes outdoor painting a better experience.
Booking for rooms/apartments should be made as early as possible. Rentals start 1/1 every year…tell them you are in my workshop.
Check out: www.monheganwelcome.com look under ‘sleep’
- The Island Inn (rooms with full breakfast/dining room) some private bathrooms 207-596-0371
- The Trailing Yew (rooms, meals (family style) included) 207-596-0440
- Shining Sails B&B (rentals: apts/private baths, homes, rooms) 207-596-0041
- Monhegan House (breakfast…rooms, dining room available) 207-594-7983
- Tribler Cottage (apartments) 207-594-2445
- Brackett’s Oar House 207-594-9151
- HitchcockHouse.com 207-594-8137 (up a good sized hill, but if you are game, the owner, Barbara Hitchcock is delightful)
Feel free to “google.com” for direct connections and email addresses for locations. Most places have shared bathroom facilities. Some restaurants and grocery services are available, so you won’t go hungry. A cooler with choice nibbles is advised.…. call me with questions.
TRANSPORTATION TO THE ISLAND:
Reserve ahead. Parking arrangements and schedule info is available directly from each boat line. Call or look on line:
- Laura B. out of Port Clyde (Monhegan Boat Line) 207-372-8848
- Balmy Days out of Boothbay Harbor 207-633-2284
- The Hardy III, out of New Harbor 207-677-2026 *(my choice / I leave my car in the baseball field in New Harbor for a reasonable rate.)
Need more info?
Email Doris: firstname.lastname@example.org