Plein Air Workshop
Santa Fe/Taos, New Mexico
May 17-25 2018
You are invited to join me in sunny New Mexico! We will drink in the colors of the stunning southwest, painting, hiking, communing with the ancient landscape. It is a welcoming wonderful area to visit! Dates to be finalized once we purchase air tickets. Proposed itinerary below.
During our days visiting New Mexico, we will explore the surroundings, observe the light. We will experiment with color and shape to describe the landscape around us. No two painters see the world around us in the same way, so the resulting works will have their own signature, regardless of painting proficiency and expertise. Everyone is a beginner in a new place! All are welcomed to try it out! Companions too! Materials list is available under Classes on www.dorisrice.com.
On arrival, we be visiting Santa Fe, acclimating to the new altitude and seeing some sights for a day ( Georgia O’Keeffe Museum, for sure). Two nights 5/17, 18. Then, We hope to move on to Abiquiu to stay in the area of Ghost Ranch. Two nights 5/19-20. Then a drive on to the Mabel Dodge Luhan Historic Inn, in Taos [www.mabeldodgeluhan.com], for 4 nights. In Taos, we are bed and breakfast guests, so a hearty breakfast will be included with our accommodations; we are on our own for lunch and dinner. I will rent a cottage that has kitchen facilities, so we can cook some meals together if ok with any and all. The Inn is a small, cozy conference center for all types of group meetings and seminars, so we will have access to other areas in the buildings as well. Another painting group may be joining us at breakfasts. Meet folks from all over the world.
The rooms are scattered around the beautiful rustic property. Some are double rooms, singles, and one or two can hold several guests. Please indicate if you are willing room share. I will send costs as you indicate your preferences. Estimated $145/night for single or double room.
There will be hours of observing and painting, walking through town, visiting galleries, visiting the Taos Pueblo reservation…..so much to see and do. Soaking in our surroundings can be as enriching as painting the scenes!
Creating outdoors is always first on my list, and we will be doing many diverse views of landscape and western artifacts. Sketching will be a must!
During the week, we’ll visit Ghost Ranch one of the days, for a Georgia O’Keeffe landscape tour, checking out the colors and shapes that inspired her to paint NM. (incredible mountain colors!).
- We arrive at Albuquerque airport, depending on possible flight times and varied fares. Check with me before booking. Santa Fe airport has a very limited schedule, so I have not used that ad frequently.
- Researching flights, arrivals and departure times, I look to Southwest Airlines first, for they will bring my luggage free.
- Call me for itinerary and car rental details
Costs for the Adventure:
- Artist participant $400.00
- Companion 200.00
- Admission to Ghost Ranch / Georgia O’Keeffe Tour approx $40.
- Rooms in Santa Fe to be arranged according to the size of our group. Two nights. Apartment rental walking distance to both Canyon Road art galleries and Historic Center of Santa Fe. est $100/night
- Inn at Abiquiu , 2 nights, near Ghost Ranch (a day visit with Landscape Tour $40).
- In Taos at Mabel Dodge Luhan House, 4 nights
- Rooms are diverse in size and amenities. Placements are first come basis, shared rooms (would you like to share?) could be twin or double (some queen) beds. All have private baths.
- Room cost depends on if you wish to have personal quiet reflective time, privacy, or could share to make overhead more affordable…. and so on….
- Rental Cars:
- We’ll be renting vehicle/s to accommodate luggage and participants. Second car can be rented if need additional space.
- I love driving, and we might need another volunteer if the group goes beyond capacity of one car. Costs for rental vehicles will be shared, along with gas and tolls.
- As you contact me with thoughts and preferences, I will send in deposits and book autos and rooms. A number of folks, painters and non-painters, have indicated interest already.
- Materials list is under classes on line.
- It will be so much fun! An adventure!!!