Plein Air Workshop
Santa Fe/Taos, New Mexico
May 23 – 29, 2019
You are invited to join me in sunny New Mexico! We will drink in the colors of the stunning southwest, painting, hiking, communing with the ancient landscape. It is a welcoming wonderful area to visit! Dates to be finalized once we purchase air tickets. Proposed itinerary below.
During our days visiting New Mexico, we will explore the surroundings, observe the light. We will experiment with color and shape to describe the landscape around us. No two painters see the world around us in the same way, so the resulting works will have their own signature, regardless of painting proficiency and expertise. Everyone is a beginner in a new place! All are welcomed to try it out! Companions too! Materials list is available under Classes on www.dorisrice.com.
On arrival, you will be driving direct to the Mabel Dodge Luhan Historic Inn, in Taos. Shared auto rental if flight arrivals can be coordinated.[www.mabeldodgeluhan.com], for 4 nights, 5/23 Thursday till departure 5/27 Monday. In Taos, we are bed and breakfast guests, so a hearty breakfast will be included with our accommodations; we are on our own for lunch and dinner. I have rented a cottage that has kitchen facilities, so we can cook some meals together if ok with any and all. The Inn is a small, cozy conference center for all types of group meetings and seminars, so we will have access to other areas in the buildings as well. Another painting group may be joining us at breakfasts. Meet folks from all over the world.
The rooms are scattered around the beautiful rustic property. Some are double rooms, singles, and one or two can hold several guests. Please indicate if you are willing room share. I will send costs as you indicate your preferences. Estimated $145/night for room. Please let me know if you plan on bringing a companion. They are always welcome!
There will be hours of observing and painting, walking through town, visiting galleries, visiting the Taos Pueblo reservation…..so much to see and do. Soaking in our surroundings can be as enriching as painting the scenes!
Creating outdoors is always first on my list, and we will be doing many diverse views of landscape and western artifacts. Sketching will be a must!
Then, Monday 5/27, we will move on to Abiquiu, where we have rooms in the Inn. On site is the Visitors’ Center for the region, also showing a preview video of Georgia O’Keeffe’s nearby Abiquiu home. We’ll visit Ghost Ranch Tuesday 5/28, for a fantastic Georgia O’Keeffe landscape tour, checking out the colors and shapes that inspired her to paint NM. (incredible mountain colors!). Doris has reserved tickets.
5/29, Wednesday, departing Abiquiu Inn, we will travel back to airport, passing Santa Fe along the way. If folks wish to stay a night or two in Santa Fe, that is the time you’ll be dropped off at your location. There is service to airport in Albuquerque, if you don’t wish to keep a car. Hard to go to the southwest and not spend a night or two in Santa Fe!…..I have several Air BNB locations to recommend, I will be departing for home, however.
Doris will be flying to and from Albuquerque airport, coming in several days ahead,[ having a mini-vacation planned with my college girlfriends, all turning a special birthday this year!] Flights: SouthWest Air. return flight to Logan/Boston, Wed 5/29 depart Albuquerque 11:30 am stop over in Dallas….arrival Boston 10:55 pm. C&J home from Logan to Portsmouth. Let me know when you book your travel. Arrivals and departure. [ Santa Fe airport has a very limited schedule, so I have not used that for air travel on the trips.]
- Researching flights, arrivals and departure times, I look to Southwest Airlines first, for they will bring my luggage free.
- Call me with your itinerary and car rental details perhaps can be arranged
Costs for the Adventure:
- Artist participant $400.00
- Companion 200.00
- Admission to Ghost Ranch / Georgia O’Keeffe Tour approx $40.
- In Taos at Mabel Dodge Luhan House, [www.mabeldodgeluhan.com] 4 nights
- Rooms are diverse in size and amenities. Placements are first come basis, shared rooms (would you like to share?) could be twin or double (some queen) beds. All have private baths.
- Room cost depends on if you wish to have a single room….personal quiet reflective time, privacy, or could share to make overhead more affordable…. your choice.
- Inn at Abiquiu , 2 nights, near Ghost Ranch (a day visit with Landscape Tour $40).
- Santa Fe time is your own choice. I can recommend Air BNB’s that we have visited in the past. Hope you can get to the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum.
- Rental Cars:
- Individuals will be renting at Albuquerque Airport. Auto shares can be arranged if all come in similar times.
- Materials list is under classes on line.
- It will be so much fun! An adventure!!!